Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Toaster: 1. Toddler: 0

Preschoolers in general seem to be fairly idiosyncratic in their habits. I've been lucky to raise a nearly-three-year-old who is pretty laid back in the grander scheme of things. Sure he has his eccentricities, like how he doesn't want the honey stirred into the yogurt or how he insists on not wearing his pants between the hours of 2:00-4:00 pm, but as a rule he is eager to try new things, and can easily go with the flow.

I finally found something that really troubles him. My husband moved the toaster.

A few weeks ago, Peter uncharacteristically decided to do some cleaning in the kitchen. He did a very thorough job which included a little reorganizing of countertop space. He opted to move the toaster from the right side of the oven to the left side, closer to the microwave.

This has thrown Joshua into a toddler tailspin of anxiety.

"Why did daddy move the toaster over there? When is he going to move it back?" He asked. I told him we would try keeping it over by the microwave for a little while. I assured him that we could still make toast with butter and jelly. I even made him a couple of slices, cut into triangles as is the preferred method. He looked worried. (I might add here that Joshua is not at all obsessed with things being clean or in order. He will happily exist in a room strewn with toys, discarded socks, and half-eaten crackers.) Later that day, he started eyeing the appliance dubiously. "The toaster is supposed to go over there." I told him we would keep trying it daddy's way for a little while. "Please move the toaster back!" He started getting that wrinkled up forehead which signals the onset of a tantrum. I redirected his energies to a new activity, and he forgot about the toaster.

So I thought. Days later, he continues to ask when we're going to move it back. I realize it would be easier to just move the thing back to its original spot, but I feel that it is important for Joshua to accept simple changes in his life. We must pick our battles, and by golly I think I can win the one about the toaster.

4 comments:

PhoenixHearse said...

You should name the toaster Tina, and then tell him Tina the Toaster was lonely and wanted to spend more time with Mike the Microwave.

Ian said...

...says the lady with the Cancel button on HER toaster...

Funny story, Kristin.

Ian

Jaelithe said...

I could SO see my own son having a similar reaction.

Isn't it weird, the things they pick to freak out about?

Lately my son gets nigh hysterical practically every time I put my hair in a ponytail. He just keeps saying, "Mommy, HAIR DOWN! HAIR DOWN!"

To which I am like, little dude, it is MY hair, thank you very much.

I hate to think what he would do if I decided to cut it off and dye it purple . . .

PhoenixHearse said...

Ian, you jealous, jealous man. Don't hate the toaster.