Thursday, September 14, 2006

Brothers



When I listen to myself talk out loud about my kids to other (often childless) people, I find myself wondering if, first of all, they are actually listening or just nodding politely while they consider whether or not I think they look fat in those newfangled "skinny" jeans, and second of all, if they are mystified as to why anyone would want to have the little buggers. It seems difficult to convince someone without children of the elusive rewards one sometimes feels when the baby sleeps for a good five hours and you managed to wash your hair while the other one was, as it turns out, scribbling a Sharpie pen on the carpet.

Since Charlie is learning to sit up and is outgrowing his plastic baby bathtub, I decided to put him in the bath with Joshua for the first time tonight. The delight expressed by their faces was wondrous and warming, their squeals of laughter broke through my end-of-the-day exhaustion, and I smiled at the two brothers. Parenthood is hard. Loving is easy.

4 comments:

Ian said...

Yes, loving is easy. Yes, parenthood is hard. And you're doing a great job at both of them. :)

I

Sunrunner said...

Very nice! Just wait until they both want to be the boss...

Sunrunner said...

Nice pic! Thanks for linking to me!

Anonymous said...

This is so beautifully said. It's great to get a peek inside another mom's head and know I'm not alone in the challenges and rewards I find in parenthood.