Friday, September 30, 2005

Did I Really Just Say That?

Every once in a while, I utter a phrase which stops me in my tracks and makes me realize that having a toddler is an adventure unlike any other. Here is a sampling of some things I have said to young Joshua in the past couple of weeks.

"Take that lemur out of the dishwasher, please."
"Don't put the potty on your head!"
"I'm not going to sing you a song about poop."
"The cat doesn't like it when you rub yogurt on his tail."
"No, you may not have beer in your milk."
"Actually, farts don't come from your penis."
"But now Mr. Froggie smells like fish sauce."

I can imagine it's only going to get worse. Children require a lot of explanation of what is and isn't ok in the world. I just hope I can remember to tell him when he's doing the right thing, too. It's hard to remember to praise him for clearing his dishes from the table when he carries them to the sink upside down.

No comments: